Friday, 27 July 2012

From tornado warnings to wearing a dress as a skirt


I survived my first-ever tornado warning. We had a major storm front wash over Binghamton yesterday. Chris and I rounded up the cats, grabbed blankets, water, food, candles and a book, and hung out in the basement for some time. Crazy winds, crazy rain, falling trees, but luckily the tornado was a no-show. Lots of people in our area are still without power. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

I'm wearing the light-as-air cotton tank dress that I mentioned in my previous post. (I'm wearing it as a skirt.) I bought it some years back, but haven't worn it as much as I should have. It's one of those things that I really like but for whatever reason wear very rarely. I included it in the capsule wardrobe to see if I could incorporate it into daily wear when I have fewer items around. 




I find that it is a good idea to put items of clothing to a test every once in a while, meaning that I force myself to wear something to find out why it's not getting a lot of me-time. I still don't know why this dress doesn't get worn more often. Perhaps that will change now that I've gotten over the hump. 

4 comments:

Shey said...

I'm so glad you all are okay, tornado warnings are very scary, we get them every Spring. Good thing that you still have electricity though, especially in the summer heat! I like the way you are wearing your dress, it definitely looks good as a skirt. =)

Terri said...

Tornado warning can be very, very scary and I'm glad to hear that you came through the storm intact. I like this dress...wear it more.

Hippocampe said...

Is the dress too big ? It looks like you'd be lost in it without the structure of the T-shirt. Difficult to say, my eyes could be deceived by the angle of the picture.

I like the look, though, very Dries van Noten and I love, love the print.

You've had a lot of keep/throw decisions to make recently ! I remember your post on culling, how useful it is to understand why clothes don't work before getting rid of them, to avoid repeating the same mistake. I think it's useful to understand why the clothes work, too. We don't buy the wrong clothes because we become idiotic all of a sudden in the changing room. We buy them because they fit us in some way and it's interesting to find what the working parts are too, to make better purchases in the future.

purrhaps said...

such a beautiful shoes! And great dress-skirt trasformation, love to wear dresses that way, with t-shirts)