Thursday, 5 July 2012

Summer movies


This is what I wore on Tuesday, when Chris and I escaped the smothering heat to the movies.

First, we decided to see Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley. Seeking a Friend has tanked at the box office, which is sort of a shame. I'll admit that it's not a great movie: despite a couple of not-so-funny jokes at the beginning of the movie, it is definitely not a comedy, but it's not a full-flesh drama either. Somehow the film is just... a little off. It lacks focus, perhaps. However, there is something truly endearing about Seeking a Friend. Steve Carell is great. And even though the movie has all sorts of problems (continuity issues, nonsensical scenes with unimportant characters), I became emotionally attached to the main characters, and I cared about the story. That's more than I can say about a lot of other movies I've seen this year.




After Seeking a Friend, we went to see Wes Anderson's new movie, Moonrise Kingdom. It has gotten mixed reviews, but if you tend to like Anderson's movies (The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Fantastic Mr. Fox), you'll enjoy this one, too. Moonrise Kingdom is a really cute film: visually beautiful, a little goofy, entertaining and sweet, with an excellent cast (Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, and two lovely young actors, Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward). It's certainly worth seeing if you're into quirky, pretty little films.

4 comments:

Shey said...

I was going to see seeking a friend last week but I read the reviews and I decided it was not worth my money, at least I'll wait till it hits red box, the last movie was the one about Abraham Lincoln and the vampires, I cannot remember the title exactly, but it was not good either, it was entertaining but very disappointing for those who read the book. I love your top it's very pretty and it goes well with your skirt. Hope you stay cool in that heat!

Terri said...

I haven't been to see a film in a theatre in ages. I love this outfit--the vivid top and the gathered skirt.

Carolyn said...

Hmm, I will check out Moonrise Kingdom, thank you for the recommendation! I'm afraid I cannot bar Steve Carell, so will give that one a miss. Comedies can be hard to get right I think.
Stay cool!

Carolyn said...

sorry, that should have read "cannot "bear" Steve Carrell"...