Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Lakeside



I feel bad that my posts are mostly just random glimpses into my new location. I also feel bad that I haven't spent any time reading your blogs lately. There is just so much going on here all the time. I do want to say thank you to all of you who have kept reading and commenting, even though I have been a bad blogger and I haven't been reading any of your blogs. You guys are awesome.

Anyway, back to what's going on here. Things are pretty hectic. I am staying at my mother's house until our house nearby is ready to be moved in. Right now it looks like that will take some time. I have some work-related projects going on, and I spend most of my free time a) reading interior design magazines and b) worrying about the house renovation. Thank goodness my mother is here to drag me to the woods every now and then, and she makes me go pick some berries in the yard. I take a moment here and there, stand on the porch of my mother's old sauna building, and look at the lake. And hope that the mosquitos don't eat me alive.


 
This is an old sauna, a wonderful wood-burning one without plumbing, and it's right by the lake. It smells like resin and piles of dry wood. Saunas don't get any better than this one. My mother heats it up almost every night. We relax in the warmth and go skinny-dipping in the lake, like us Finns do.
 
I'm wearing a men's shirt from some random online shop, a raw-silk skirt from a flea market, and second hand loafers. In case you are wondering where all these clothes came from during the time most of my clothes are in transit between New York and Finland, the answer is: all sorts of clothing stashes I've found in my mother's house and in my sister's apartment. It seems that my experiment with a limited wardrobe has become very short-lived indeed!
 

5 comments:

Milla said...

sigh. I'm so happy you've landed. These pics tho are giving me a mad homesickness epidemic. That sauna...

Hippocampe said...

I like the random glimpses into the new location, very much.
I'm mesmerized by the blues and greens of the lake.
Keep sharing the beauty surrounding you, bad blogger, and this bad commentator will keep following you :)

Terri said...

Oh, I absolutely love the skirt you are wearing--both the fabric of it and the cut. I can tell that you are feeling at home.

We have a sauna...but an electric one. I use it frequently in the winter, but not so much this time of year. I'd love to see the inside of it, if pictures are possible.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's a wonderful sauna, and an incredibly loving setting! I miss you honey!!!! oxox, CR

Madeline Quaint said...

Your new home area looks just amazing - a place one would dream up and hope it exists. I'm so glad you've found a new direction in your life that led you there! Wishing you all lots of happyness! :)