Wednesday, 28 November 2012

The cold moves in


Greetings, earthlings! Long time, no see! I haven't had much time or energy to write... or to do much at all, except hang around in dirty overalls and get firewood. I guess it wouldn't be fair to say that life has felt a little rough during the past few weeks and months, because of course things could be much worse... but let's just say that life has thrown a bunch of challenges at us recently. We've ran into all sorts of trouble with the house renovation, and we are nowhere close to moving in yet. It hasn't been easy to live in very close proximity to my parents' - there are reasons for why children move out, and even more so, why they remain moved out. Chris has been dealing with culture shock, sometimes more, sometimes less successfully. He's learning how to deal with the non-talkative nature of the countryside Finns. It's not easy at times. The important thing is, of course, that we are together, and that we are hanging in there. The cats are doing okay, too, although we can tell that some of them are starting to feel a little antsy in the small summer cottages they inhabit. We are making progress at the house, little by little. We have walls...


...we have veranda windows...


...and we're working on choosing floor paints.


So it's not all bad. Finland is beautiful, albeit cold - we are actually facing a severe cold front at the end of this week. Well, at least we've become masters of heating up the summer cottages - it now takes me less than five minutes to get a fire going!


6 comments:

Shey said...

Hi Waves & Chris! You've done a lot of work, wow it must be hard but one day it will all be done and you'll have a beautiful home for you two and the cats. I know what you mean about the parents, I live about 10 minutes from my mom, thankfully life is so hectic and we're so busy that we only see each other every so often, I love my mom to pieces but I rather not live with her and see her all the time. I would probably love it in Finland since I'm a very quiet and reserved person, not much of a talker and some people here (USA)find that strange, I'm kind of a loner and although I like being with people and I really appreciate and love those moments of silence. Anyways, I hope you keep writing whenever you're not that busy, I like seeing the updates on how things are going. =)

Robin said...

I was so pleased to see your update! Sounds like a ton of stressful work, and doubly stressful being in such close proximity to your parents. Make sure you and the husband take good care of each other and your relationship. It certainly seems rewarding though, and very beautiful.

Franca said...

wow, it looks liken you are really building that house from scratch! I hope it all settles down for you soon. The landscape is so beautiful.

The Waves said...

First I'll just say that I was so freakin' happy to see all of your comments this morning! I have been away from the blog way too long. And aww, I've missed you guys!!

Shey: indeed, living close by to one's parents can be very daunting. It's tough sometimes because I love them, but sometimes it's just... too much! Yes, you'd probably fit right in here I am sometimes considered a bit of a freak because I talk too much. Most Finns, the ones in the countryside anyway, are reserved and they don't talk much at all.

Robin: yup, it's certainly been stressful. Chris and I try to focus on what's important. The house will be ready one day and we are sure we'll learn to laugh at all of the difficulties we've had along the way. :)

Franca: yes, the renovation has been much more intense than we originally thought, and there has been a lot more work. We had to open up the floor between the first and second floors, renew all the insulation and redo all the electric wiring. The bathroom was gutted, the kitchen also. There is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel, but boy, it's going to take a while longer...

Eyeliah said...

Wow, that looks like quite the project! I know you will be able to do it and I am impressed by your five minute fire!

The Waves said...

Eyeliah: hi stranger, good to hear from you! :) It's so much fun to hear from all of my favorite blog-people! :)Indeed, this whole renovation project was/is sooo much more than we thought it was... I guess that's what you get when you buy an old house! ;)