Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Hi, I'm home!


In case you didn't notice, I was away - again. I don't think it's fair to even call my blogging "sporadic" at this point. It's just plain nowhere-to-be-seen! For way too long, I was stuck in the cabin-life-rut which really weighed heavily on me, say, from November to late January. Then we moved, and my Blogger passwords stopped working. It ended up being a problem with my overly-enthusiastic internet security, but for a while there I was convinced that I'd never see No Signposts again. Anyway, here I am, alive and well! I've missed you!

It's been moving madness in our neck of the woods for weeks and weeks now - cardboard boxes everywhere, not enough furniture, no curtains, stuff everywhere, just general craziness. But we're home, and that's a big deal for us and the kitties. We are all well.


A couple of weeks ago I started a new job. I saw an ad in the paper about a month ago, and I decided to give it a shot, being absolutely convinced that there was no way they'd hire me... and two weeks later, there I was, sitting in my new office, working from 8 to 4. As you might imagine, it's all been quite a change - from our old life in New York, from the no-running-water-life in the cabins. It all happened so fast.


My new line of work has forced me to move heavily away from my sweatpants-and-thermal-gear-only cabin wardrobe that I sported for months on end. My new work environment doesn't require corporate gear, but jeans are pretty much out of the question. It's taken me a fair amount of time and energy to get back to dressing... well... not like a lumberjack. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing half of the time! 


But it's fun. It's fun to get dressed in the mornings now - when I get out of bed to a warm, comfortable home rather than to a drafty shack. I've had plenty of energy to think about what to wear or what would look office appropriate but still me. I stick out like a sore thumb at my workplace, though - almost all of my co-workers are much, much older and they dress in a very... conservative fashion. But they are nice people, and they don't seem to mind me mixing florals, paisley and pinstripes. 


So that's what's going on in my end. The sun rises so much earlier now than it did in the endless night that is the Finnish winter.

We got plenty of snow last night and it's bloody freezing, but spring is around the corner. It must be, right?

15 comments:

Jessie said...

You look wonderful, much more cheerful!
Have you left the cabin you were renovating behind, or is it that the renovations are all finished and now the cabin is a proper home? It all sounds quite fascinating, I hope I'm not being too nosy!
Good luck with your new job.

Milla said...

You're back! Here! I love these outfit shots, it's good to see you smiling and stylish, by the looks of it you're enjoying the change and momentum. I'm of course super curious about your job, but regardless what it is you're doing for work, having somewhere to head out to in the morning can be a welcome change. Working from home is so different. And so sweatpant inducing. I look forward to more musings on office wear. I'm sure you have plenty to say.

Quinn said...

I was just the other day wondering how you were. Glad to hear of all the exciting things happening!

Shey said...

I'm so glad you were able to write again Waves! I had just checked you blog last week and was sad to see it was for invited readers only, I thought maybe you were taking a break from blogging. Congratulations on your new job and congratulations for moving on to your home with Chris and the kitties. I hope all that snow melts soon although I must say it looks beautiful in the picture. Hope to hear from your home updates and from you. =)

Zuba said...

It is so nice to read you again :)
good luck with the new job. I hope it won't take months till your next post ;)

The Waves said...

Hi my Sweeties! :)

Jessie: We lived in the cabin while our house was being worked on - now we have left the cabins behind and live in a real home! :)

Milla: Indeed - office wear posts will probably come at some point. I work for the county, I run a 2-year project to help liven up the community. It's pretty interesting, although the county framework is completely alien to me. It's challenging, but so far good.

Quinn: And here I am! It's so nice to see familiar names here in the comment box, including yours. :)

Shey: Good to hear from you! In the midst of my major password confusion I managed to close the blog for a while - hence the invitation only-thing. I was convinced that someone had hacked into my computer or account or something! I'm afraid the snow won't melt anytime soon - tonight it's going to be somewhere around -5 F...

The Waves said...

Zuba: I promise I will post more often now that our situation has become more stable. I PROMISE! :)

Robin said...

So good to see you again, and congrats on moving in to your home and the new gig!

Jessie said...

Ahh, now I understand! ;)
Congratulations! How excitng to have moved in after renovating.
and welcome back to blogging! I have missed your thoughtfulness about clothing.

coffeeaddict said...

Wow, congrats on the new job and moving in to your house! Surviving Finnish winter in a drafty cottace is in itself a big victory :-) I'm wishing you lots more of exciting new things with decorating your new home and lots of sucess in your new job.

Hippocampe said...


good to hear you're settled&fine, good to see that marvellous finnish landscape again.

The informal suit made of separate long jacket, pants, and shirt : that's what I wear to work, too :)
It's practical and as you can mix&match every piece, not as boring as a bonafide suit would feel to me.

anne b. said...

so glad you're back! congratulations on moving into the house, and on your new job - it sounds really interesting!
looking forward to more posts on office-wear & your thoughts about it. I really like that floral shirt with the pinstripe trousers. I used to really dislike pinstripe anything, but lately I am starting to kind of like it. strange :)

The Waves said...

Robin, coffeeaddict, Hippocampe and anne b. - Thank you for your sweet comments! It's good to be back! :)

Lyellian said...

So very glad that you are back: recently discovered your blog, and it's given me much to think about. :)

Eyeliah said...

it is so lovely to see this cheerful post from you, so glad you are finding yourself in better situation. And hey, contacts on the job, excuses for more outfits yay.