Wednesday, 1 May 2013

May Day


Our house looks cute on the outside, but it's sad on the inside. Chris and I are heartbroken over Willow's cancer diagnosis. Thank you so much for all of your kind words regarding Willow and her illness. It means a lot. We try to focus on the positives: that she is still with us, and will be for a while longer, that she is not in pain yet, that she still purrs and plays. But it's tough. We've had a strain of bad luck with our cats in recent years: first we lost Cassie, then Blue, and now Willow has very little hope of surviving more than a handful of months. I guess that's just the cycle of life. Things live, things die. It's not fair, but then what is. Life will go on, in one way or another. 


It's been difficult to focus on anything else but Willow, but there is one thing that takes my mind elsewhere: gardening. I don't know what it is about the smell and the texture of the earth, but my mind stops in its tracks once I get my hands into the dirt. My brain is at ease, almost on autopilot, when I work in the garden. I guess I am lucky that our yard is a complete mess. It hasn't been tended in years, so there are plenty of soil-greenery-and-tools-filled moments on the horizon. The perennials are almost drowning in weeds, but we should be able to salvage a bunch of them.


Our greenhouse is very modest at best, but it will do. It is still too cold to plant anything inside, but I plan on cleaning it up this coming weekend. The old dirt is full of weed seeds, so it must all go. Out with the old, in with the new.


These crazy gulls were camping on the field behind our house. Don't they just look a little nuts? The lake is still frozen, but not for long, I think.


1 comment:

Franca said...

i am so sorry.